Transhuman and subhuman cover

When I was asked to create a cover for John C. Wright's new collection of essays, I immediately jumped at the chance. Wright has been hailed by a number of commentators as one of the greatest living S/F authors, so any chance to associate my work with his wasn't something I was prepared to refuse. I had quite a bit of freedom on this one, however I was encouraged to use classical architecture and art as a reference. My goal was to use ancient art to communicate Wright's view of a sinister transhuman future.
The first sketch was selected, and from there it was a matter of perfecting the pose and anatomy of the statue, as well as adding a touch of art deco per the art director's request. I'm happy with the result, and the author seems to be too, which to me equates to sucess.


No comments:

Post a Comment